Labels

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

spinning yarn




Spinning yarn with "just" a spindle and some wool has been on my creative radar for awhile now.  Trying to figure out how to do it from books just wasn't working for me.  In February of this year I broke down and took a class.  Thanks to Beth over at The Spinning Loft I am actually now making something that can pass for real yarn.  My first spindle full of yarn I spun out of Falkland.  I am thinking I will dye half of it and try plying 2 strands together.  
For my second attempt I am using some "mixed wools, coopworth" (not sure exactly what that means) I purchased last Saturday at the Scrap Box in Ann Arbor.  So far I am loving how this is spinning - it is either a perfect match for my spindle or I am actually getting a little better at this.
I've been knitting for a number of years now and in retrospect I wish I had kept a record of all the projects I made over the years.  Drawing on my experience from knitting I have started a spinning journal of the fibers/yarns I've spun.

No comments:

Post a Comment