Labels

Thursday, March 22, 2012

lip balm

As part of an effort to reduce some of the chemicals in my life I've been meaning to try & make some lip balm for awhile.  Finally made some today.  If I had realized just how simple this is I would've made some along time ago.  This is the recipe I used (from  http://www.beautylish.com/a/vpyxs/diy-beauty-make-your-own-lip-balm).

HOW TO Make Your Own Lip Balm
Choose a container or tin for your lip balm. You can use an empty Altoids tin or anything that will hold the balm. Just be sure to wash it in hot soapy water and let it dry completely.
Prepare your ingredients. The general rule is two parts oil to one part beeswax. You can use any oil that you like. Try adding almond oil for added moisture or peppermint oil for a fresh scent.
Melt the beeswax in a double boiler, ensuring that the top bowl does not touch the water. Once the wax melted, remove from the heat.  Immediately pour the hot mixture into the desired tin.  Let it cool overnight before using it on your lips.
For my lip balm I used 1 tablespoon  beeswax pellets, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon safflower oil


No comments:

Post a Comment