Labels

Friday, March 16, 2012

dryer lint mâché




Recipe for dryer lint-mâché paste
Combine ½ cup flour and 2 cups cold water in a bowl, stir well to dissolve all of the flour.
Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and add the flour and cold water mixture.
Bring to a boil again, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons of sugar.
Let cool. The paste will thicken as it cools.

To make a basic bowl:  Find a bowl to use as your mold - I used a medium sized mixing bowl.  Lightly spray the outside of bowl with cooking spray and then cover the outside of the bowl with plastic wrap.  Place the bowl, rim side down on a protected surface (this gets very messy).  Dip a piece of dryer lint into the paste, getting it moist but not soaking wet with the glue and spread it onto the bowl.  Continue adding paste dipped lint to the bowl, smoothing it out each time until the bowl is covered.  Place  the inverted bowl on a coffee can or something similar to raise it up.  Finish the rim now or wait until its dry and trim it then.  I don't plan on trimming mine so I "feathered" out the edges by gently pulling out the lint along the rim.  Set it aside to dry.  This seems to dry slower than paper mâché, I ended up putting mine outside in the sun to dry (luckily it is unseasonably warm and sunny here in Michigan right now).  When the outside is dry to the touch gently pull the bowl out and peel the plastic off of the lint bowl.  Let the inside finish drying.  I think I will give this a few more days to completely dry and then try painting it.
And a photo of my tulips that just opened up today because I couldn't resist adding it :) 


















2 comments:

  1. Will the final texture be compromised if my lint contains large percentages of cat and rabbit fur due to sharing residence with both? Or, should I borrow lint from my pet-free neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cat & rabbit hair shouldn't be a problem. Personally I had more issues with my hair than my cat's - mine is past my shoulders and the long strands were very noticeable (I just pulled the worst offenders out of the lint as I was working).

      Delete