Labels

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

spinning

  Today I spun some more of the llama/merino mix that I've been working on.  while it is going a little faster now it is still slow.  I'm beginning to think that it is so slow because of the lanolin in the fiber.  The lanolin makes it a bit sticky and a slows down my drafting.  Not sure if that is just because  I'm inexperienced at spinning greasy wool or if that is just how it is.  As a test I spun some nongreasy wool as thin as I've been spinning the llama/merino and it spun up much faster.  I was able to spin & Navajo ply 3/4 of an ounce of this fiber in about 1/2 the time it took me to spin 1/4 ounce of the llama/merino fiber.

Over the weekend my husband & I stopped at North Star Alpacas  in Ithaca, MI.  It was lovely visiting with Maple, the owner, and meeting all of the adorable alpacas.  I also now have some yummy North Star fiber that I am looking forward to spinning up.



No comments:

Post a Comment