Labels

Saturday, April 21, 2012

popovers

popovers right out of the oven
A couple of days ago I purchased a cast iron popover pan from a local antique mall.  I then scoured and reseasoned it.  Today I made some popovers.  Hmmm....turns out that popovers are those bread things that are usually filled with stuff like tuna salad.  If I had known that I wouldn't have made them - I really don't care for those.  I was thinking that they were more of a roll-like kind of thing.  However, right out of the oven and still hot they actually tasted pretty good and even better with some stuff in them.  The ones I made were dairy free, the recipe is below.
filled with egg salad
The recipe I used (adapted from this one at allrecipes.com to make it dairy-free)

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Blue Diamond unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven and cast iron popover pan to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).  
In a medium bowl beat eggs slightly, Beat in flour, milk and salt until just smooth; being careful not to overbeat.
Spray preheated popover pan with cooking spray and fill cups 1/2 full.
Bake at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for 10 minutes more. Immediately remove from cups and serve piping hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment