Labels

Friday, June 22, 2012

Sharpie Tie Dye


Dyed a shirt using the "sharpie tie dye" method.  I first saw the idea for this pinned on Pinterest (original source is here).  Basically all you do is draw on the fabric with a sharpie and then, with a dropper, drop rubbing alcohol onto the marks.

This technique works pretty well, I did find that the marker didn't bleed very consistently.  I didn't use brand new markers which may have affected my results.  Also, it is a good idea to place something underneath the fabric - the marker will bleed through. 

Aesthetically, I didn't care for how it looked with just a single dot of color by itself (the band of dots to the right on the shirt are individually placed).  Grouping 6 or so dots together I think works better (the pinwheel looking dots are grouped).


6/24/2012 ETA:   washed the shirt today - the marker  washed out  somewhat.  If I try this again I'll heat set the marker with an iron before washing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment